|Character Type||NPC (Borderlands)|
|Playable character (Pre-Sequel)|
|Group Affiliations||Atlas (former)
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Athena is an NPC in The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, and a playable character in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. She used to be a Lance Assassin, even claiming to be the "top operative" of the Crimson Lance and a leader of an Omega Squad, but has since defected.
After helping the Vault Hunters take down Atlas, she traveled Pandora as a hired gun. Desperate for money, she took a job as a Vault Hunter for a low-level Hyperion programmer by the name of Jack.
Athena realises the goals of the Vault hunters are aligned with her own and contacts them when they first enter T-Bone Junction, to propose an alliance. Her identity is initially masked, with her being referred to as an "Atlas informant" at this time. Her first errand sends the adventurers to see Scooter for further instructions. Scooter reveals that Athena is hiding in Moxxi's Red Light, but upon arriving there the Vault hunters learn that Athena had been kidnapped by Mr. Shank, who plans to turn her over to the Crimson Lance for the bounty on her head.
Athena appears in T-Bone Junction after being freed from Lockdown Palace in the mission Prison Break: Try Not to Get Shanked. Once there, she offers several main story missions, and some side missions aimed at hampering the Crimson Lance efforts, as well.
- Code Breaker: Analysis
- Athena Set Up Us The Bomb
- Bridging the Gap
- Armory Assault
- Loot Larceny
- After The Secret Armory of General Knoxx is completed, Athena will offer a gun named Athena's Wisdom, a repeater with the flavor text 'War is the final option.'
- She was a Lance Assassin before she went AWOL. She is seen using dual plasma swords and wearing an assassin mask during the intro to the General Knoxx DLC. Also, the fifth and final recording in Knoxxed Out mentions that she assassinated the Dahl undersecretary five or more years before the events of the DLC.
- Her motivation for rebelling against the Lance is partially due to the death of her sisters whom she was "duped" into killing. She is a former member of an all female assassin force for the clandestine military of the Atlas Corporation.
- Athena evidently possesses formidable combat skills, as she has killed a very large number of bandits, including numerous Badasses, in cramped close quarters at Moxxi's Red Light prior to ultimately being subdued and captured. Moxxi likewise comments, with regards to Athena, that "that kitty has claws".
- Opening the door to Athena's former prison cell in Lockdown Palace still triggers her introductory cut-scene, even after completing the associated mission, Prison Break: Try Not to Get Shanked.
- In Greek mythology, Athena was a goddess of strategy, just war, and wisdom.
- Shooting Athena will cause her to bleed, although this doesn't affect her in any other way. This differs from most un-harmable NPCs, who show sparks instead of blood when bullets impact upon them.