|Given By||Sam Matthews|
|Rewards||531 XP, $136, Order|
|True Vault Hunter Mode|
|Rewards||8756 XP, Order|
|Previous||Where Angels Fear to Tread Part 2|
|Mission Type||Optional mission|
BFFs is an optional mission found in Sanctuary.
Four friends are accusing one another over who stole the money they had looted together and have caught themselves up in a Truxican standoff. One member of the group asks for help in finding the culprit. Upon accepting the mission, Marshall Friedman will make contact by ECHO, saying that only one person will state the truth and that the other three friends are lying. He requests assistance in uncovering the identity of the thief, and shooting him/her.
- Shoot thief
- Question O'Cantler (optional)
- Question Jim (optional)
- Question Sam (optional)
- Question Lindy (optional)
Only one member of the group will speak the truth; all the other members are lying. Their statements are:
- Sam: O'Cantler stole the money
- Lindy: Sam stole the money
- O'Cantler: Sam is lying
- Jim: I didn't steal the money
There are a few ways of deducing the thief.
- If Sam is the thief, Sam is lying and Jim, O'Cantler and Lindy are telling the truth.
- If O'Cantler is the thief, O'Cantler and Lindy are lying, and Jim and Sam are telling the truth.
- If Lindy is the thief, Lindy and Sam are lying, and Jim and O'Cantler are telling the truth.
- If Jim is the thief, Jim, Sam and Lindy are lying and O'Cantler is telling the truth.
Both O'Cantler's and Jim's statements form a paradox if both are lying based on Sam's statement - so one must be telling the truth. Since there is only one truth-teller, Lindey and Sam are both lying. If Jim is lying, his statement only accuses himself, while both Sam' and O'Cantler's statements exonerate O'Cantler.
Each of the potential culprits is carrying something on their back. Jim is wearing a large backpack with a dollar sign on it. From this evidence one may assume that Jim is the thief.
If Jim is shot, a fair amount of money will drop from his corpse. Shooting anyone else will cause Jim to reveal that he was the culprit and run away, although the reward for the mission will be given anyway.
If an area effect attack such as a grenade or rocket launcher is used, it will kill the culprit (Jim) without harming any of the others. If Chain Lightning is used, all four are killed and Jim drops the money, the quest can then be completed by speaking with the deceased Sam.
- "You diffused a tense situation."
- Jumping on Jim's head will kill him, but not complete the mission, allowing players to get some money. This can be repeated by saving and reloading the game.
- At some unknown point the standing name in the game was changed from "BFFs" to "A Truxican Standoff". Whether this is intentional or a glitch is unknown.
- The four robbers are named after current and former hosts of Destructoid's game-centric podcast Podtoid: O'Cantler (Topher Cantler), Jim (Jim Sterling), Sam (Samit Sarkar), and Lindy (Aaron Linde). Anthony Burch, lead writer of Borderlands 2, co-hosted the podcast before leaving Destructoid for a full-time writing position at Gearbox Software.