Backburner is the title of a group of common Submachine Guns in Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. They are manufactured exclusively by Hyperion and features the incendiary-only Maliwan barrel.
Usage & Description
Hyperion SMGs are high accurate but they have the feature of "reverse recoil": the longer the accuracy increases the longer the trigger is held. The listed accuracy on the weapon is what is achievable after the sustained fire increases their accuracy to maximum.
The Backburner is part of a sub-group of SMGs that only can spawn with a fixed-element Maliwan barrel. They feature the higher-than-usual elemental damage/second and element chance granted by the Maliwan barrel. These parameters achieve even higher values, if the SMG is equipped with a Maliwan grip.
Despite the low rarity designation of these weapons, their high elemental chance and status effect damage can make them excellent choices for combat until a more suitable (or less common, e.g. Legendary) weapon is obtained.
- Other SMGs in this grouping manufactured by Hyperion include the Storm (shock), Weisenheimer (corrosive), and Wellness (slag)/Cooler (cryo).
- The Backburner is only comes in green or higher rarity.
- The variants of Backburner in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel commonly spawns with Hyperion's new-style materials and prefixes which are the same as in Borderlands 2.
- In addition to the Backburner, a variant of this weapon exists in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel as the Boiler, made by the "old" Hyperion.
- The Backburner is obtained randomly from any suitable loot source.