As with many shooters and RPGs, a critical hit is an attack that hits a target's weak point, dealing extra damage. Nearly all enemies in the Borderlands have at least one critical hit point, and it is recommended that players find and aim for them. The bonus damage done is determined by many factors, including the weapon used, the critical hit point on the enemy, and the player's skills and abilities. Some select enemies, such as Crystalisks, cannot take damage except from critical hits.
Weapon Damage Calculation
Critical hits multiply the weapon's damage by two factors: first, the critical multiplier of the weapon type; second, the sum of all bonuses to critical hit damage (usually from abilities, but also from sniper rifles and a few weapon parts).
- CriticalDamage = CardDamage × CriticalMultiplier × BaseBonus
- CriticalMultiplier = Weapon Type Multiplier + Weapon Barrel Multiplier
- Base Bonus = 100% + Weapon Type Bonus + Weapon Prefix Bonus + Skill Bonuses
Weapons with the effect "Deals Bonus Elemental Damage" apply their bonus damage after the critical hit damage is calculated. Therefore bonus elemental damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.
|Bonus Source||Critical multiplier||Base bonus|
|Bonus From Weapon Type|
|Assault rifles (Jakobs)||×2.3||+0%|
|Sniper rifles (Jakobs)||×2||+160%|
|Bonus From Weapon Barrel|
|Hyperion Pistol barrel||+0.15||—|
|Bonus From Weapon Prefix|
|"Critikal Hit" Shotgun||—||+50%|
|"Night" Sniper Rifle||—||+20%|
|"Venture" Sniper Rifle||—||+20%|
|"Tumtum" Sniper Rifle||—||+20%|
|"Gentleman's" Sniper Rifle||—||+20%|
|"Razrez" Sniper Rifle||—||+20%|
Example: If Zer0 has five ranks in Headsh0t (+20% Critical Hit Damage) and is using a Jakobs sniper rifle (+160% Critical Hit Damage) that is listed as dealing 150 damage, then a critical hit will deal 150 × 2 × (100% + 160% + 20%) = 150 × 2 × 2.8 = 840 damage.
When a weapon card says "+X% Critical Hit Damage," that value indicates the total increase. This includes bonuses from Jakobs weapons and Sniper Rifles, which would otherwise be hidden.
- A sniper rifle whose body was manufactured by Jakobs and is described with "+180% Critical Hit Damage," is reflecting the increases gained from a Jakobs sniper rifle body and the weapon's name prefix compared to a 0% Base bonus. Sniper rifles regularly omit this description, so it is to be noted that this means the total increase is 180%, not 180% on top of a Base bonus that all sniper rifles have.
- A pistol described with "+8% Critical Hit Damage" is reflecting the increases gained from a Hyperion pistol barrel compared to a pistol's 2x critical Multiplier. The total Multiplier of 2.15 corresponds to an increase of 7.5%, rounded to 8%, from a regular pistol. The weapon doesn't have a critical hit Base bonus like one would get from sniper rifles, skills, class mods, etc.
- A pistol whose body was manufactured by Jakobs and is described with "+33% Critical Hit Damage" is reflecting the increases gained from a Jakobs pistol body and a Hyperion pistol barrel compared to a pistol's 2x critical Multiplier. The total Multiplier of 2.65 corresponds to an increase of 32.5%, rounded to 33%, from a regular pistol. The weapon doesn't have a critical hit Base bonus like one would get from sniper rifles, skills, class mods, etc.
Melee Damage Calculation
Critical hits in melee inflict ×2 damage. Weapon or skill critical hit bonuses do not increase this any further.