- See also: Fastball/Pre-Patch Variant Chart
Take me out to the ball game...
|Element:||Corrosive, Explosive, Incendiary, or Shock|
|Special Part(s): |
The Fastball is a legendary standard-type grenade mod manufactured by Tediore. Fastball is obtained randomly from any suitable loot source. The Fastball can be obtained from Boll in Three Horns Divide.
Forget the curveball Ricky, give him the heater. – 0.0 fuse time. Greatly increased damage and travel speed compared to similar Tediore brand grenades. Dramatically decreased blast radius. Altered detonation noise. Uses special physics as if it were a baseball (bouncing, altered weight, etc.).
Usage & Description
The special effects of the Fastball come from its unique delivery method part. When the Fastball is thrown it follows an arc similar to a lobbed grenade, but traveling at extremely high speeds while also bouncing from surfaces. The higher speed also makes the grenade travel longer distances than common lobbed grenades. The Fastball can only spawn with the lowest trigger component, and as such will always have a fuse time of 0.0. However, the Fastball will only detonate immediately on contact with an enemy or damageable object. If the grenade impacts a wall or other inert surface it will bounce, only detonating once it has stopped moving completely.
The Fastball has a highly reduced blast radius, limiting it to only being capable of damaging one enemy at a time in most cases. Melee enemies affected by Thoughtlock are one notable exception. The reduced blast radius is countered by its increased damage, almost 10 times the damage of a same-level standard grenade. The Fastball's damage is so high that it is technically the most damaging weapon (per projectile) in all of Borderlands 2, greater even than the Nukem, Ahab, and Tunguska. This makes the Fastball of limited value for crowd control, but effective at dealing damage to a single target.
- The Fastball had a high chance to drop from the Sheriff in Lynchwood on Week 2, Day 14 of the Borderlands 2 $100,000 Loot Hunt. This was rewarded for completing all the community goals for that week.
- The Fastball's stats were modified via a hotfix applied on October 25th, 2013 as part of the Loot Hunt. Its damage was increased by 500%, and its blast radius was also slightly increased from 85 to 105. This hotfix was later made permanent in Patch 1.8.0.
- The Fastball grenade was added to Boll's loot pool in a hot fix on October 29th, 2015.
- There is a bug that causes its damage to be greatly reduced when a character is first logged in wielding it. Its full damage will be restored if it is re-equipped.
- The flavor text is a reference to the line James Gammon's character, Lou Brown, says during the final at bat in the film Major League.