The Fremington's Edge is a unique aftermarket Hyperion sniper rifle in Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. In Borderlands 2, the Fremington's Edge can be obtained as a common drop from Assassin Reeth located in Southpaw Steam & Power.
In Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, the Fremington's Edge is obtained as a mission reward from the mission Don't Shoot the Messenger.
Special Weapon Effects
I can see my house from here. – High zoom magnification (11.4x). Increased damage. Increased accuracy. Increased critical hit damage when zoomed.
Usage & Description
The most noticeable characteristic of Fremington's Edge is its incredibly high zoom magnification of 11.4x, almost double that of any other sniper rifle in the game. This makes the weapon very well-suited towards long distance attacks, more so than almost any other weapon. Unfortunately the same advantage can make Fremington's Edge unwieldy in close or even mid-range combat situations.
Aside from the increased magnification, Fremington's Edge appears only marginally different based on its item card. Its base damage, while higher than other blue-rarity Hyperion sniper rifles, is well below purple-rarity Hyperion snipers and many blue-rarity snipers from other brands. Its accuracy is higher than most other sniper rifles, but not significantly so. Finally, its listed critical hit bonus appears to be noted erroneously, as the "+100%" modifier is standard on a sniper rifle and thus not normally displayed. However, this last element is somewhat misleading due to a hidden effect.
When Fremington's Edge is zoomed its critical hit modifier is increased from +100% to +175%. This means a zoomed critical hit from Fremington's Edge will inflict 5.5x the damage listed on the card, not counting elemental weaknesses or other critical hit modifiers. This is a significant improvement over the 4x damage inflicted by standard sniper rifles, elevating Fremington's Edge over many other snipers in terms of potential damage, but still behind certain exceptional rifles such as the Pimpernel and Buffalo. Nonetheless, its high zoom magnification coupled with the increased zoomed damage make it better suited towards long range engagements than virtually any other weapon in the game.
- Fremington's Edge can also drop from Assassin Reeth on Digistruct Peak at the end of the A History of Simulated Violence mission.
- Day 5 of the Borderlands 2 $100,000 Loot Hunt featured this weapon as the drop from Wilhelm needed to defeat the daily challenge.
- Fremington's Edge was also modified via a hotfix released on October 16th, 2013 as part of the loot hunt. Its accuracy was increased by a small amount, while its scoped critical hit damage modifier was increased from +150% to +175%. As with all hotfixes released as part of the Loot Hunt, it will later be incorporated into a permanent patch.
- The name is a reference to a wall of crags and scree slopes in the Yorkshire Dales (in the U.K.) called Fremington Edge. This wall overlooks a town called Reeth (the same name as the NPC who drops it) and further supports the flavour text.
- In Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, it is stated that this rifle belonged to Colonel Zarpedon during Don't Shoot the Messenger.