|General Alphonso Knoxx|
"Tell the Admiral I hate him."
|Appearances||The Secret Armory of General Knoxx|
General Knoxx is the titular character of the third downloadable content pack, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx. He is also used as a marketing tool outside of Borderlands, where the character is played as a personality on Twitter.
General Alphonso Knoxx is the "First General of the Crimson Lance, Son of Guillermo Delphino Knoxx III." He spent the majority of his early life as a soldier of the Crimson Lance. Descended from a family of equally honorable and grumpy soldiers, Knoxx yearned for a life of meaningful (or at least, really fun) combat and a noble death. His commanding officer Admiral Mikey is apparently age 5 due to the promotion system, which is described as "goddamn nepotism", and this only serves to raise Knoxx's ire even further when childish messages from the Admiral arrive on Pandora. He hates Lance Command and ultimately seeks to leave the Crimson Lance after his mission on Pandora. Upon discovery of the Crimson Lance's promotion system, Knoxx lost what little hope he had left in legitimizing the Atlas Corporation's military branch.
When he is finally encountered in person, General Knoxx is about to kill himself with several automated laser turrets and a rather comically-large bomb. Just before he is able to push the button, he notices the Vault hunters and comments, "Now that's just inappropriate timing. I was hoping to be dead already by the time you got here." He calls off the suicide setup before making a deal with the adventurers, allowing them to pass if he is defeated in combat. He also suggests that they blow up the entire planet altogether, though that seems unlikely to happen.
General Knoxx fights in his own special Devastator with dual energy cannons mounted on the arms. These Eridian-based weapons are able to track moving targets and can be quite damaging if they connect. They are shock-based attacks than can be resisted effectively with Cationic shields or appropriate Class MODs. Knoxx's Devastator armour also has a leap attack capability, where he flies into the air with his armor's jetpack and then slams into the ground. It does significant damage, although the attack is easily spotted and can be avoided by leaping away just before the impact.
When the fight starts, Knoxx will fight alone, but after he loses about 30% or 40% health, he summons two Devastators, then several Lance Combat Medics, and a Badass Devastator when he has 10% or 20% health left. The most important part of this fight is to kill the medics promptly as their Lance Aid Station Scorpios can quickly heal General Knoxx back to full health with their powerful percentage-based healing effect. These waves of enemies will still appear even if General Knoxx is killed quickly.
Failing to kill General Knoxx in a short period of time will result in him sending out more waves of Devastators and medics. This may make defeating him incredibly difficult.
Good weapons to use against General Knoxx are rapid-fire automatic weapons that can inflict a sustained barrage of gunfire to his head. Shots to Knoxx's head will land critical hits which interrupt the charging of his cannons and throw off his targeting, just like any other Devastator.
The containers in the middle of the combat zone can provide substantial cover and can be used tactically to lure Knoxx into places where he can become temporarily stuck. With some firing angles this means that players can gain a line of sight on Knoxx's head while Knoxx's return fire does nothing more harmful than light up the far side of a container.
Dazing the General using a Siren or Hunter's ranged dazing skills can be a very effective addition to the fight. To a lesser degree Berserker's melee stun can be used when engaging Knoxx at close quarters. If he is staggered or dazed, his overall combat effectiveness is greatly diminished.
A slightly risky but extremely effective strategy is to try staying right up close on Knoxx's front. His arm weapons have an convergence point that is a good distance back. His cannons cannot track nearby targets well and attackers are free to blast away at him with close range weapons. However, this will usually trigger him to start performing leap attacks.
If the Badass Devastator is spawned before Knoxx dies, try to position Knoxx in the middle, blocking the other Devastator's line of sight. The Devastator's rockets can deal significant damage, but with Knoxx's massive armored suit in the way, they have little chance of reaching attackers. Additional Badass Devastators will spawn some time after the first is killed making the Badass a high priority.Upon entering the area, players can also go directly to the left where there is a rock along the wall which offers some good cover. General Knoxx and the additional Devastators can't strike targets behind that cover, and the rock is also small enough to offer a position with which to strike back at them.
- (sigh) Alright. This is General Knoxx. I don't really want to be here. This planet smells like hemorrhoids wrapped in bacon. I sent Steele to this planet to take care of this little problem and also because-- seriously have you heard her? She talks all the time. And hello, have you met our friend the sun?! So, I guess thanks for turning her into a meat kabob. Also, I'm going to kill you and stuff. Cheers, mate.
- Hey man, me again. The Admiral gave me a to-do list for today written in crayon. Seriously, he spelled 'prison' with a picture of a tree and some macaroni glued to it. I work for children... literally, the Admiral is five. Five. Goddamn nepotism. Oh, hey, I sent Gamma team over to kill you. No hard feelings. Love!
- Hey again. So I just got a birthday card from the Admiral. It's got a picture of a dragon on it and it says, 'To my special friend on his birthday, flame on!' And the dragon is lighting the candles on a cake with his fire breath... (sigh) That doesn't even make sense to me. That's like mowing your lawn with a nuclear weapon. It's not even my birthday. I need to kill you so I can leave. Maybe just kill yourself and save me the trouble, mate.
- Hey, so I guess I was wrong. I thought you were going to be cool and help me get out of here, but... You would not believe the shit that I have to put up with. The Admiral just made me French toast out of a sock and some freakin' gum. Mate, all bets are off, I'm gonna have to kill you now. Hehe, sorry.
- General Knoxx update to Admiral Mikey, log file number one. I've just arrived on Pandora and have been investigating where Commandant Steele failed, I mean other than getting impaled by a plate of calamari. Admiral, I expect orders as to my current mission soon. I'll reply when I receive them. General Alphonso Knoxx, out. - Knoxxed Out, ECHO #1
- General Knoxx update to Admiral Mikey, log file two. Do I really have to say that every time? Seems a bit verbose when updatin' you on my current actions and ordeals. Anyway, um, perhaps this is some kind of a joke sir. I had begun stock piling the munitions for what I believed to be the mission at hand, that is retaking Pandora to ensure our control over alien technology which ensures our intergalactic dominance, when I received a package from you marked 'Orders: Urgent.' Its contents included: a mix tape, fourteen sponges, and what I believed to be melted chocolate. I expect this situation to be rectified shortly. General Knoxx, out. - Knoxxed Out, ECHO #2
- General Knoxx update to Admir -- oh for God sakes I'm not sayin' it anymore! I still have not received further mission orders despite re-establishing the Crimson Lance outposts on the highway to ensure the security of the depot and control transportation. I even retrofitted our soldier force with newer and more energy-efficient weaponry increasing our efficiency by 12 percent. Admiral, I expect a full report within the hour or I will be bringing this matter to a higher authority. Knoxx, out. - Knoxxed Out, ECHO #3
- Admiral. I'm not sure if I have offended you in some previous life and you are exacting revenge by watching me unravel at the seams. I have received your sit-rep written with magic marker on the back of a cupcake. It reads, 'Cats are kool!' And you misspelled 'cool'. I did work my entire life for this position. This ECHO is to inform you that I will be running the operation from here and will be ignoring all further transmissions from you. Bye. - Knoxxed Out, ECHO #4
- I know I said I wasn't gonna update you again, you brainless moppet, but I thought I would share the news that former Agent Athena has been working with a quartet of donkeys that bested our bulimic albino commandant. You remember Athena, right? Killed the Dahl undersecretary for us a while back? Oh wait, that was before you were born. Unbelieveable. What am I doing with my life? Well, wanted to let you know I'll just be shooting the whole lot of 'em... Oh, and I quit. When this mission is done I'm leaving the Lance, which I know is punishable by death, but the suits that change your diapers couldn't find their car keys if they dropped 'em into their own pockets. So I'm not too worried that you'll track me down on the other side of Grophic IV. In conclusion, toodles. - Knoxxed Out, ECHO #5
- Well that's just inappropriate timing. I got tired of waiting and was hoping to be dead before you got here – I can't stand this place.
- Make you a deal, if you best me in this fight – which seems likely – maybe you can blow up this planet entirely? Kill all of'em. That's the fairest thing to do...
- Athena is a treacherous snake. Are you sure her goals are righteous?
- Athena must have told you a good story to take on all of the Crimson Lance. What was it?
- I had hoped I would not need to get my hands dirty, but so be it.
- I have all of Steele's reports on your methods. I have the advantage.
- Where the Omega failed, I will not!
- Your training is pathetic, this will not take long.
- You would've made a great soldier. It's a pity I didn't recruit you before now.
- Tell the Admiral I hate him. (When Knoxx dies)
- It's not physically possible for Knoxx to press the red & green alert buttons shown in the boss-engagement cutscene, when his hands are operating the arms. The alert buttons are supposedly in his power armor.
- Knoxx frequently uses the word "mate", rather than "pal" or "buddy", a possible indication of changes in dialect from an American English origin.
- The General took his assignment on Pandora into his own hands after his juvenile commander sent him a seemingly important package which contained fourteen sponges, a mix tape and some melted chocolate.
- Through many of his recordings he ventures his dislike of the Crimson Lance by calling his troops "retarded".
- The Secret Armory of General Knoxx
- Knoxx's Gold
- Knoxxed Out
- General Knoxx-Trap
- General Knoxx compilation on YouTube