The Golden Key is an item which unlocks the Golden Chests in Sanctuary or Concordia. These chests contain weapons of purple or magenta rarity, and relics may be blue or purple. All loot is scaled to the character used to open the chest at the time. Golden Keys are single use, impossible to trade, and are not dropped as part of loot in Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.
Golden Key Acquisition
- Pre-ordering Borderlands 2.
- Buying the "Mechromancer Pack" DLC.
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
- Pre-ordering Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
- Signing up for Gearbox Software's SHiFT service.
- Entering a SHiFT code periodically distributed by:
- Golden Keys are stored at the profile level. All characters controlled by that profile will share a common pool of Golden Keys.
- The Mechromancer Pack gives new profiles a small supply of Golden Keys when they are created. It is possible to create a second profile, level them using the Rock, Paper, Genocide: Fire Weapons! quick leveling technique, and have them open the chest. However it is generally more efficient to farm other reliable loot sources, such as chests and Butt Stallion.