"What's in the box?!?"
|Element:||Shock, Incendiary, Corrosive, Slag, or None|
|Special Part(s): |
|[Gwen's Head Variants]|
Special Weapon Effects
Thinking outside the box. – Fires a 7-round burst when zoomed. +37.5% critical hit damage bonus. Additional critical hit damage bonuses (e.g. skills, class mods, relics) are multiplied by inherent bonus, rather than added to it.
Usage & Description
Gwen's Head is set apart from most Dahl pistols by two immediately obvious differences: its bonus critical hit damage and its seven-round burst. These two things make Gwen's Head highly viable for scoring multiple critical hits, especially given the high fire rate of the weapon.
However, there is a third, hidden aspect to Gwen's Head which is not immediately apparent: the weapon uses a different formula for calculating critical hit bonuses added by non-weapon sources, such as from character skills or Badass Rank. While other Dahl pistols add together all critical hit bonuses before applying them, Gwen's Head applies the inherent +37.5% critical hit bonus immediately, then uses that result for calculating any further critical hit bonuses. This means that the weapon's critical hit damage is boosted by an increased amount when compared to standard pistols, making Gwen's Head a good choice for characters with any sort of skills or equipment providing an increase to critical hit damage.
This weapon can only be found in a cardboard box that spawns in random locations throughout The Dust. A box containing the gun will always spawn upon entering The Dust in one of the following five locations:
- Inside Ellie's workshop - When entering through the vehicle bay nearest the fast travel, in the corner next to the entrance.
- The Dust, East Side - On the West side of a rock outcropping, South and slightly East of Ellie's Garage, North and slightly East of the entrance to the Hodunk Speedway.
- Goose's Roost - Inside the shack at the lower end of the stairs along the North side.
- Lynchwood station - Located on the Northeast edge of the platform close to the New-U station.
- Old Dahlwell Oasis - Next to a power pole due North of the gas station building containing the slot machine.
- When found, either Handsome Jack or Claptrap will send an ECHO message: "Aw, what's in the box!?"
- The box containing this gun also contains a woman's skull.
- This weapon can be found every time The Dust is entered, and does not require players to use the "Save and Quit" option to generate another. The box may appear at a different location if this is done. Leaving and re-entering The Dust will remove the box containing the previous Gwen's Head if it was not picked up.
- This weapon can only spawn with the Tediore grip and the Hyperion barrel.
- A hotfix on 10/12/13 gave the Gwen's Head and all other Dahl pistols increased stability and larger magazine size as part of the Borderlands 2 $100,000 Loot Hunt.
- This gun and the ECHO message are references to the movie Se7en in which one of the main characters is presented a cardboard box containing his wife's severed head. The 'Gwen' in the gun's name is a reference to Gwyneth Paltrow, who played the aforementioned wife in the film. The weapon also fires in seven-round bursts.
- This gun could be dropped by Knuckle Dragger during Day 1 of the Borderlands 2 $100,000 Loot Hunt.