Hyperion Guards wear heavy armour making them very durable but also very slow, capable of only moving at a walking pace. In addition to their body armour they carry heavy, bullet-proof riot shields. In their other hand they wield a sidearm, usually a repeater pistol or revolver. They frequently have shields on top of their heavy armour, adding to their already impressive durability. Hyperion Guards wear a helmet that resembles a gas mask while their Claptrapped counterparts (see below) wear a balaclava.
Hyperion Guards show no interest in seeking cover, preferring instead to rely on their riot shields. When under fire they will move slowly forward or back, covering themselves closely with their shields, thus presenting a dramatically reduced targeting opportunity for enemies in front of them.
While their shields are bullet-proof and protect a large portion of their body, shots to their shield will cause the Guard to flinch and recoil his shield, making him temporarily vulnerable. Sniper rifles and automatic weapons are most effective on Guards. Sniper rifles can strike with precision at their head from a distance, while semi-automatic weapons can knock the shield aside and damage them with critical hits and body shots. Corrosive weaponry is highly effective against Guards.
- Sighting an enemy
- "Hyperion troops attack!"
- "Hands on your head!"
- "On my mark!"
- "You're no match for Hyperion technology!"
- "On your knees!"
- "Drop the weapon!"
- "One step closer and you will be shot!"
- "Hyperion soldiers. Engage the enemy!"
- "Hyperion thanks you for your undying cooperation."
- "In your face!"
- "Thats gotta hurt!"
- "Hyperion Corporation values your input. Does this hurt?"
- "Stand down! I have superior training and tech!"
- "Hyperion Corporation regrets any grief or suffering your death may cause."
- "You will comply!"
- "Please don't let this... "incident"... affect your buying decisions."
- "You made me bleed my own blood."
- "Do you really want to hurt me?"
- "I'm...I'm hurt bad!"
- "I'm bleeding!"
- Sighting a grenade
- "I die for Hyperion!"
- "The academy didn't train me for this part."
- "I wasn't all that I could be."
- Hyperion Guards have different names for each difficulty level
- Playthrough 1: Hyperion Guard
- Playthrough 2: Hyperion Beefeater
- Playthrough 2 complete: Hyperion Custodian
- The quote, "You made me bleed my own blood." is a reference to The Simpsons where Bart hits Nelson and Nelson says "You made me bleed my own blood."
- The quote, "I wasn't all I could be. "is a reference to the slogan, "Be all that you can be," used by the United States Army for its recruitment campaigns.
- The quote, "Thank you! May I have another?" is a reference to the movie National Lampoon's Animal House.