Noo-body gets out of here alive!
The road to New Haven goes through an arena which Mad Mel controls. Mad Mel must be defeated for the story to proceed any further.
- See mission article: Road Warriors: Bandit Apocalypse for strategy.
"Yeah! Hahaha! Better run!" (Just before Mad Mel appears in the arena)
- Mad Mel's name is an amalgamation of the title of a popular post-apocalyptic movie, Mad Max; and the actor who portrayed the titular character of Max, Mel Gibson. The text describing the mission to kill Mad Mel also refers to him as a "lethal weapon behind the wheel of any vehicle;" Mel Gibson starred in the Lethal Weapon series of action films.
- When Helena Pierce offers a reward for killing Mad Mel, she says, "It's good you had a brave heart." Mel Gibson played the leading role in the movie Braveheart.
- Mad Mel strongly resembles Lord Humungous, the main antagonist of Mad Max 2. The Monster he drives also resembles the character's six-wheeled truck in the film.
- Mad Mel appears in a large dome reminiscent of the Thunderdome in Mad Max 3.
- Mad Mel uses the character model of a badass bruiser.
- Mad Mel will not respawn in Playthrough 2.5, unlike most bosses.