Maliwan is a weapons manufacturer on Pandora. Their weapons and shields always use some form of elemental technology, but due to this fact, they tend to lack in other areas. Base firepower in particular seems to suffer. Maliwan weapons are distinguished by their unique light blue paint scheme.
The following are products made by Maliwan.
- Repeater Pistol - Firehawk
- Revolver - Defiler
- Rocket Launcher- Rhino
- Shotgun - Crux
- Sniper Rifle - Volcano
- Submachine Gun - Hellfire
- Hunter - Assassin, Survivor
- Siren - Catalyst, Firefly, Specialist Maliwan Loyalty
- Soldier - Shock Trooper, Tactician
- Contact - Corrosive, Incendiary, Shock
- Shock Burst, Wave, Nova
- Maliwan Standard = Level 13 - 21
- Maliwan Sterling = Level 22 - 30
- Maliwan Prototype = Level 31 - 39
- Maliwan Paradigm = Level 40 - 47
- Maliwan Pure = Level 48+
- "Is shooting bullets just not cool enough for you? Buy a Maliwan and light some people on fire!" -- Marcus Kincaid
- "Maliwan guns shoot more lightning than the next leading competitor!" -- Marcus Kincaid
- "Where form meets function." -- Maliwan poster (see picture above)
The following are items made by Maliwan.
- Sniper Rifles
- Rocket Launchers
- Pistol - Rubi
- SMG - Bad Touch, Good Touch, Chulainn
- Sniper Rifle - Chère-amie, Pimpernel
- Rocket Launcher - Hive
- Pistol - Thunderball Fists
- SMG - Hellfire
- Sniper Rifle - Volcano
- Rocket Launcher - Norfleet, Pyrophobia
- Pistol - Infection
- Sniper Rifle - Storm
|Accessory Effect||Pistols||SMGs||Sniper Rifles||Rocket Launchers|
|Fire rate +||Expeditious||Impetious||Banbury||Predacious|
|Reload speed +||-||Apt||-||Prudential|
|Magazine size +||Surfeit||-||Monstrous||Plentious|
Gun Appearance by Quality
- White: Mostly white with faded light blue and orange bars at rear of weapon
- Green: More vibrant colors; front of weapon is dark blue, middle is white, rear is orange
- Blue: Reflective frame with honeycomb texture; front is orange and blue, white middle, black rear
- Purple: Metallic frame with honeycomb texture; front may be black and orange, middle white and orange, and rear black
Rarity-specific visual changes:
- Blue and purple SMGs have a clip that is shaped like a disk that spins as the weapon is fired.
- As the elemental specialists, Maliwan guns tend to excel against one specific type of enemy and to have severely reduced effects on others (e.g. Incendiary weapons are very effective against Bandits, but robotic enemies are highly resistant). This forces heavy Maliwan users to carry a couple of spare guns with different elemental effects at all times, and use them according to the opposition they are facing.
- Choosing the right element for the right opponents can make the Maliwans extremely effective despite their generally low bullet damage.
- Many Siren class players may favor Maliwan guns over all other manufacturers. They can use the elemental properties of the Maliwans to great effect, as their skill trees have several skills that improve elemental damage and effects.
- Some enemies (like crystalisks with the exception of explosive) are immune to any kind of elemental damage. Maliwan guns will perform very poorly against them.
- Maliwan - Where Form Meets Function (Maliwan Weapon Video)
- Maliwan guns are always elemental (either Slag, Corrosive, Incendiary or Shock, never Explosive) and generally have increased elemental effect chance and damage when compared to guns from other manufacturers.
- Most Maliwan weapon types almost always have the "Bonus Elemental Damage" trait, the amount of bonus damage differing between weapon types
- Pistol bonus damage is equal to 100% of the damage listed on the item card.
- Sniper rifle bonus damage is equal to 60% of the damage listed on the item card.
- Rocket launcher does not seem to deal bonus damage directly, but a fraction of the damage value is delivered in a short radius around the point of impact.
- SMGs do not typically have the "Bonus Elemental Damage" trait.
- Maliwans have a very sleek and futuristic design, with rounded corners, bright colors and many blinking lights.
- Maliwan guns tend to have quick reload times and reasonable accuracy, but come with limited magazine size and bullet damage (due to elemental effect reducing raw damage).
- The named and Legendary weapons seem to be named after destructive natural elements and events.
- As of Borderlands 2, Maliwan no longer manufactures shotguns.
- In the Maliwan radio ad in Borderlands 2, a rifle named Deus Ex Arma is mentioned.