"Say goodbye to your mamma and pappa"
|Special Part(s): |
|[Orphan Maker Variants]|
Orphan Maker is a cursed unique shotgun of Jakobs manufacture in Borderlands 2 as part of the DLC Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty. Orphan Maker is obtained from the mission Message In A Bottle (Oasis).
Special Weapon Effects
Makes Orphans Often – Low pellet count and a massive damage bonus. Each shot consumes 2 rounds of ammunition.
Curse of the Nefarious Backlash! – Every shot from the shotgun will deal a small amount of damage (5% of weapon damage rating) to the wielding character.
Usage & Description
This weapon is relatively accurate with a low pellet count and high damage, allowing critical points to be targeted more easily. The self-damaging effect means this weapon needs to be used more cautiously than a typical shotgun. The self-damage is usually not significant to the character but it will reset shield recharge delay. Ambush tactics or frequent use of cover is favored for this shotgun, as constant use effectively prevents shields from recharging.
However, this shotgun is usually a poor choice for Zer0. Use of Deception with this weapon will usually cause Zer0 to lose most of his health or instantly fall into Fight For Your Life. This is due to his ability, often increasing the weapon's damage so high that the self-damage becomes crippling.
The Orphan Maker is useful for Gaige due to its ability to activate several of her skills at once. The gun has a small magazine and when combined with Smaller, Lighter, Faster, will bring it down to two. This means this gun will be reloading every shot, creating stacks of anarchy, activating Shock and "AAAGGGGHHH!", and using Cooking Up Trouble since it can only be at a full clip or reloading to a full clip. The damage it does to the wielder is counteracted by Blood Soaked Shields and this gun's ability to get a kill every shot. Blood-Soaked Shield's negative of taking 5% health is counteracted by this gun activating Cooking Up Trouble at all times. The high damage of this gun combines well with Anarchy, meaning high damage output for any pellet that connects, while Close Enough ensures a high hit rate.
Krieg can make exceptional well use of this weapon. The self damage from this weapon is much smaller and manageable than friendly damage from Fuel the Rampage, or self damage from Silence the Voices. The self damage can be used to reduce Buzz Axe Rampage cooldown, or reset shield recharge delay to take advantage from Empty the Rage, Maylay shields, or Flame of the Firehawk.
- The weapon's full title in the game files is "Captain Blade's Orphan Maker;" however, "Captain Blade's" is treated as a prefix by the game engine and can be replaced with other prefixes.
- A bug prevents the cursed effect from being applied when the gun is wielded in Salvador's left hand while gunzerking.
- Day 12 of the Borderlands 2 $100,000 Loot Hunt featured this weapon, dropped by Big Sleep.
- "Makes orphans often" is a reference to a line from Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance; referencing how the uncommon British pronunciation of "orphan" and "often" can sound the same.
- The weapon functions like an elephant gun - it is a shotgun-bored weapon, but each barrel fires only a single, high-powered slug.