|Game||Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty|
|Special Part(s): |
|[Orphan Maker Variants]|
Orphan Maker is a cursed unique shotgun of Jakobs manufacture in Borderlands 2 as part of the DLC Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty. Orphan Maker is obtained from the mission Message In A Bottle (Oasis).
Special Weapon Effects
Makes Orphans Often – Low pellet count and a massive damage bonus. Each shot consumes 2 rounds of ammunition.
Curse of the Nefarious Backlash! – Every shot from the shotgun will deal a small amount of damage (5% of weapon damage rating) to the wielding character.
Usage & Description
This weapon is relatively accurate with a low pellet count and high damage, allowing critical points to be targeted more easily. The self-damaging effect means this weapon needs to be used more cautiously than a typical shotgun. The self-damage is usually not significant to the character but it will reset shield recharge delay. Ambush tactics or frequent use of cover is favored for this shotgun, as constant use effectively prevents shields from recharging.
However, this shotgun is usually a poor choice for Zer0. Use of Deception with this weapon will usually cause Zer0 to lose most of his health or instantly fall into Fight For Your Life. This is due to his ability, often increasing the weapon's damage so high that the self-damage becomes crippling.
Krieg can make exceptional well use of this weapon. The self damage from this weapon is much smaller and manageable than friendly damage from Fuel the Rampage , or self damage from Silence the Voices. The self damage can be used to reduce Buzz Axe Rampage cooldown, or reset shield recharge delay to take advantage from Empty the Rage, Maylay shields, or Flame of the Firehawk .
- The weapon's full title in the game files is "Captain Blade's Orphan Maker;" however, "Captain Blade's" is treated as a prefix by the game engine and can be replaced with other prefixes.
- A bug prevents the cursed effect from being applied when the gun is wielded in Salvador's left hand while gunzerking.
- Day 12 of the Borderlands 2 Loot Hunt featured this weapon, dropped by Big Sleep.
- "Makes orphans often" is a reference to a line from Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance; a joke on the fact that the British pronunciation of orphan and often can sound the same.
- The weapon functions like an elephant gun - it is a shotgun-bored weapon, but each barrel fires only a single, high-powered slug.