Full speed aheeeooohshiiiiiii...
|Title||High speed intercepter|
|Armaments||Front: Machine gun|
|Structure||300 - 2340|
|Appearances||The Secret Armory of General Knoxx|
Racers are vehicles introduced in The Secret Armory of General Knoxx. They can be used after the completion of You've Got Moxxi: Moxxi's Red Light. It is the only vehicle that is actually fast enough to carry on with Prison Break: Over the Wall mission.
The Racer appears similar to the Outrunner in Borderlands, save for a rear spoiler, a large jet nozzle for the improved booster, and a high-mounted exhaust. It is similar in function as well, but with a much more powerful and longer lasting nitrous boost. Compared to the other third DLC vehicles, its armor and armament are much weaker than those of the Monster and the Lancer. Due to the increased speed, it is prone to tipping over. The racer is damaged more readily in combat than other vehicle types, so it can be less effective for protracted battles, yet excels at evading attacks and escaping. It is possible to circle an enemy faster than they can track, giving the racer an advantage in large open areas, although such situations are relatively rare.
When the nitrous booster bar is depleted, the maneuverability of the car suddenly increases back to its regular level, which can cause the racer to veer out of control if it is not steered straight ahead, and is the only vehicle in the game than can flip itself onto its back even on flat, open ground. If slightly turned after a jump, the racer will make crazy rebounds, possibly right over the wall (and to the driver's death) in some parts of the highway.
- "Blue Blur" - Blue
- "Burner" - Orange
- "Dune Racer" - Tan
- "Fast and Loose" - Pink
- "Fireball" - Red
- "Greasy Lightning" - Yellow
- "Mean Green" - Green
- "X-Racer" - Black
- There is an achievement, Speed Kills, for destroying a Lancer while in a Racer.
- The rear spoiler has Mad Moxxi's Underdome logo on it, as it was supposedly her idea.
- Rockets fired by the Racer have more knockback to vehicles than other rockets.
- Racers can't be driven outside of The Secret Armory of General Knoxx.
- The yellow paint scheme, "Greasy Lighting", is a reference to the song "Greased Lightning" from the movie "Grease".
- The "X-Racer" paint scheme is a reference to the character, Racer X, from "Speed Racer".
- The "Blue Blur" paint scheme is named in reference to Sonic the Hedgehog, who is sometimes described as "the blue blur".
- The term "fast and loose", used in the pink colour scheme, is used rarely in a sexual description for some women.
- Racers appear to be conceptually similar to the Salt Racer, a Vehicle that was scrapped before Borderlands' release.