Go for the eyes Boo!
|Title||Barrier to Another Piece Of The Puzzle|
Claptrap's New Robot Revolution
Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty
The Rakk Hive is a gigantic alien quadruped with four pearl-like eyes and multiple holes spread across its back. These holes are home to flights of Rakk, which themselves will swarm to attack anything that gets near the Hive. The Rakk Hive is a Boss encountered during the mission Another Piece Of The Puzzle.
The hibernation cycle of a Rakk Hive lasts much longer than that of the other species on Pandora. They are visible in their dormant state by their exposed backs protruding above the ground while most of their body remains submerged. Unlike the Trash Coast Rakk Hive, they will not awaken, however rakk will still fly out of their exposed backs.
Patricia Tannis has detected evidence of a piece of the Vault Key in the Trash Coast and sends the Vault hunters to retrieve it. Barring their way is a surprise encounter when the Rakk Hive heaves itself free from the earth and attacks.
- Main article: Another Piece Of The Puzzle
- Like most enemies, the Rakk Hive's name differs on different playthroughs: Rakk Hive on Playthrough 1, Awesome Rakk Hive on Playthrough 2, and Ultimate Rakk Hive on Playthrough 2.5.
- Since Patch 1.4.1, the Rakk Hive has lost its ability to send out Rakk from its back during playthrough 2.5. The animation still plays, though no Rakk will emerge. This can easily lead to lack of ammo, as because of the scaling nature of Playthrough 2.5, the Rakk Hive has a huge amount of health.
- The Rakk Hive was the first boss to be publicly revealed for Borderlands, appearing in certain promotional videos before the game's release.
- Hibernating Rakk Hives can be found in:
- Skag Gully: two can be found, both just outside of the playable area.
- Arid Badlands: one is near Zephyr Substation, and another near the wind turbine in Howling Defile.
- Arid Hills: one near the branch in the path to Sledge's Safe House, another on a ledge across a stone bridge near the area where Moe and Marley are found, and a third far outside the playing area near the entrance to the Safe House.
- A Rakk Hive appears in the Claptrap Web Series, shown to be kicking a Psycho through a field goal post used in American Football.
- A poster in T-Bone Junction advertises Rakk Hive rides for the whole family.
- In Scorched Snake Canyon, on the floor the first open pit mine encountered, lies a huge skeleton of what appears to be a Rakk Hive. The skeleton has the remains of a drilling rig still attached to its back and head suggesting that Rakk Hives were domesticated or enslaved and used to facilitate mining operations on Pandora.
- If Rakk Hive is continuously attacked from behind it will spew a green liquid out of its anus.
- Main article: Old Spicy
The Rakk Hive killed in the mission Another Piece Of The Puzzle is resurrected in Claptrap's New Robot Revolution as the Rakk-Trap Hive. It has patched metal plating across its back where it previously sustained fatal damage. The Rakk-Trap Hive is found in the bottom of an open pit mine in Scorched Snake Canyon. The mission Old Spicy tasks the vault hunter with killing the Rakk-Trap Hive and retrieving Rakk Hive ambergris.
- Main article: Roscoe
Roscoe is Captain Scarlett's pet Rakk Hive, who was swallowed by the Leviathan during her pursuit of Captain Blade's lost treasure. She reunites with Roscoe after being swallowed by the Leviathan herself, and fights the Vault Hunters riding him.