Fly like an eagle...
|Element:||Shock, Incendiary, Corrosive, Slag, or None|
|Special Part(s): |
|[Sand Hawk Variants]|
Special Weapon Effects
In. Not unlike Errol. – Consumes three rounds per shot, producing 8 slow-moving projectiles in a horizontal bird-shaped pattern which shifts as though flapping its wings. Projectiles vanish from sight after travelling a set distance, but may still strike targets.
Usage & Description
The Sand Hawk fires eight rounds in the pattern of a bird. The projectiles do not form the bird-shaped spread until they travel a short distance from the gun, and within that distance the three projectiles impact a single spot, potentially dealing high damage to point-blank targets. After that focus point has been passed the spread immediately forms the bird-shaped horizontal spread.
The eight-shot spread comes at the cost of only three SMG rounds. This gives the weapon an impressive spread similar to a shotgun, but the downside is the muzzle velocity is extremely low, meaning the weapon must be used like a shotgun against any target capable of moving. An exception to this are loaders, because their upper critical hit points are lined up in a fashion which enables the bird pattern to do high amounts of damage. The fire rate is also cripplingly low, so it must be used in a different manner to a normal SMG, but it benefits significantly from the Dahl burst-fire effect when aiming down the sights.
- The item card does not display the multiple projectile count.
- The Sand Hawk and the Lascaux are two unique SMGs with similar usage but a few key differences. The Sand Hawk is more efficient in ammo consumption per projectile, and its fixed spread can be effective at longer ranges, especially against large, slow targets. However, its low fire rate gives it a lower damage per second than the Lascaux.
- While the Sand Hawk can spawn with additional accessories, they don't seem to be visible upon inspection of the gun. The only way to determine them is to look at the prefix or the stats of the gun, as accessory prefixes (if present) override all other prefixes.
- The projectiles fired from the Sand Hawk are not affected by Gaige's skill Close Enough.
- The red text is a reference to the phrase, "In like Flynn", and actor Errol Flynn, who starred in numerous pirate movies, including, notably, The Sea Hawk.
- The Sand Hawk is the only mission reward uniques that is not obtained through an optional mission.