|Given By||Lynchwood Bounty Board|
|Rewards||5716XP, Relic (Deputy's Badge)|
|Previous||3:10 to Kaboom, |
Breaking the Bank
|Mission Type||Optional mission|
"It's time to take down the Sheriff."
- Confront The Sheriff
- Kill her with a pistol (optional)
- ...and do not shoot the deputy (optional)
The Sheriff, Deputy Winger, and a handful of marshals can be found at the bend in the road halfway up Gunslinger's Corner. Some of them will be on the rooftops, creating an awkward dynamic to the fight. As with the rest of Lynchwood's inhabitants, all of these units are level scaled (to a maximum of 30 in Normal Mode).
The Sheriff is the only real objective, while the others provide interference. She is heavily shielded and has a significant amount of life. She comes armed with a pistol and will use this in chasing down her attackers to the lowest part of Gunslinger's Corner if led that far.
Deputy Winger and the marshals are slow-moving and easily outrun. They do not seek cover, but are inherently tough, and those on rooftops are often in difficult targeting positions.
Two bonus objectives make the fight even more awkward. Killing the Sheriff with a pistol limits the weapon options used to deliver the final shot, although other weapons can be employed in bringing her health down without nullifying the bonus objective. Avoiding shooting her deputy further pressures player choices towards precision armaments.
One can run past the marshals before the fight starts and reach the upper platform of the Gunslinger's corner. After jumping over the trunk chest, Sheriff can be shot (with a Dart so shots home on the Sheriff) while the roof blocks the view of the marshal as well as Deputy so the optional objectives are not touched.
- "Handsome Jack's girlfriend is now dead, and you are now the Sheriff of Lynchwood. Busy day, all things considered."
Turn In: Lynchwood Bounty Board
- Melee attacks with a pistol do not count as killing the Sheriff with a pistol.
- A previously inaccessible car trunk loot chest behind a garage door in the building the Sheriff stands on top of is revealed during this mission, and becomes accessible thereafter.
- With the Mechromancer's Deathtrap, it is possible to kill the deputy without failing the optional objective "...and do not shoot the deputy (optional)"
- The objectives are a reference to Bob Marley's song, "I Shot The Sheriff", specifically the optionals. "I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot no deputy"