- "You have heard rumors of a powerful, cursed gun known as The Bane. With some help from Marcus Kincaid, you may be able to find this legendary weapon."
- Ask Marcus about the gun known as The Bane.
- Find Horace in The Dust
- Pick up McNally's ECHO
- Pick up Gar's ECHO
- Search cemetery for The Bane
The mission begins with a dead bandit on the ground with an ECHO recorder, just outside of Moxxi's.
Horace eventually proves to be nothing more than a corpse in Bug Gulch, and to reach him one must also contend with a number of spiderants. He does however have another ECHO recorder with him that when played reveals the next portion of the Bane's story, and the next objective.
McNally is the next person to find and he is also in the Dust, this time near a shack not far from Goose's Roost. McNally proves to be a raving psycho with utensils jammed in his ears and immediately attacks anyone who approaches. Once killed, he drops the next ECHO recorder which reveals the next piece of the story and a man named Gar in Lynchwood.
Gar is in Gunslinger's Corner in the northern part of Lynchwood, and the path to him is patrolled by various bandits. He is found dead, in a small garage, with his ECHO recorder. When played, the ECHO recorder completes the story and points out the final resting place of the Bane where it has been buried in a cemetery in the southern part of Lynchwood.
Reaching the cemetery requires fighting through more bandits, and also a few skags. The final turn-in location is a small flower right by the zone boundary.
- "You have successfully tracked down the mythical gun known as The Bane. Congratulations. Maybe."
Turn In: The Grow
- The mission reward: unique submachine gun Bane.
- Text of 'An Old ECHO Recorder' item reads: My last worlds...