The fabled "plate of calamari".
|Character Type||Enemy (boss)|
The Destroyer is a massive, godlike being from another dimension, and the final boss in Borderlands. It appears as a gargantuan, one-eyed beast with a massive mouth and several tentacles. The Eridians, at the cost of their entire civilization, imprisoned The Destroyer within the Vault thousands of years before humans settled on Pandora.
The Guardian Angel knows of the Destroyer, and that it is actually what awaits those who open the Vault. However, she chooses not to share this information. She appears to want to use the Vault Hunters as a means to defeat the Destroyer.
In Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, it is revealed that Jack obtained the Destroyer's eye after its death and used it to create a superweapon for the under-construction Helios Moonbase. Dubbed "The Eye of Helios", it was capable of destroying entire settlements and nearly led to the destruction of Pandora's moon Elpis when Colonel Zarpedon of Dahl's renegade Lost Legion stole control of Helios. The Eye was later destroyed as part of Moxxi's attempt to foil Jack's plan. A side quest involved the Vault Hunters retrieving the pieces of the Eye and attempting to reuse it, but ultimately failed, and the Eye was completely obliterated.
- Main article: Destroy The Destroyer
- Some players have experienced a bug that caused The Destroyer to vanish from play when one player exited during the fight. Upon a restart of the game The Destroyer is absent, the mission checked as complete and the Vault Key unobtainable. This could have been caused by a game crash during the fight in some cases.
- On some occasions, the game may crash on kill for a character scoped in on The Destroyer, and the kill will not be counted.
- The Destroyer is very similar to the final boss of Gearbox Software's first game, the Half-Life expansion Opposing Force which went by the name of "Gene Worm".
- The Destroyer's eye, when fired from the Helios, fires in a similar manner to that of the Death Star from Star Wars.