|The Rough Rider|
|Model:||The Rough Rider|
|Game||Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt|
|Special Part(s): |
|[The Rough Rider Variants]|
Special Shield Effects
It takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose. – 0 shield capacity. Increases resistance to all damage types by 20%. Increases maximum health.
Usage & Description
Due to its unique property of having 0 shield capacity, the Rough Rider will most likely only appeal to certain players. Its damage modification and health-boosting helps out a defensive/regenerative build (including but not limited to - a character using Miss Moxxi guns, Transfusion grenades, a Zer0 build focusing around Resurgence, or a Krieg build utilizing the Mania tree.)
A character equipped with the Rough Rider will benefit from all talents which activate "when shields are depleted" until they equip a shield with a capacity. However, all talents and bonuses which activate when shields are full will not apply so long as the shield is equipped.
- Crisis Management is always active
- Pressure loses utility
- Willing, Preparation, and Quick Charge rendered useless
- Fleet is always active; Interacts well with Recompense
- Inertia and Backdraft lose utility
- Ward rendered useless
- Constant health bonuses from Nurse class mods make for a powerful health bar
- Out of Bubblegum is always active; Interacts well with Inconceivable
- Titan and Raider mods will trigger the glitch (mentioned below)
- Deathtrap may still attempt to use Buck Up; Interacts well with Sharing is Caring
- Unstoppable Force and Myelin lose utility
- Fancy Mathematics and Blood Soaked Shields rendered useless
- Feed the Meat won't have drawbacks; Empty the Rage presents its full bonus; Embrace the Pain is always active
- Fuel the Rampage, Salt the Wound and Release the Beast are more efficiently (since all damage will be health damage).
- Meat and Legendary Psycho class mods benefit unequivocally from this shield (none of his skills require having full shields and many of them provide increased benefits with a depleted shield)
Glitch: Effects requiring shields to be full can be still be used with some characters by using a class mod that boosts shield capacity by specific amount (for example, Zer0's Professional class mod), making this shield somewhat more useful.
- If an effect subtracts from shield capacity, such as a Raider class mod, skills that activate "when shields are depleted" are prevented from triggering. This is because total capacity is considered negative, but those abilities are triggered at 0 capacity.
- If a menu is opened and closed, the 'shields broken' animation and sound-effect plays. This occurs with all depleted shields, not just the Rough Rider.
- Technically, The Rough Rider has 100 shield capacity that is permanently drained. This inactive capacity is viewable from a Med Vendor.
- Krieg can benefit unequivocally from this shield, especially with a Mania build. None of his skills require having full shields and many of them provide increased benefits with a depleted shield.
- The Rough Rider is only shield to consistently have 0 capacity.
- It is the only shield, so far, produced by Jakobs (likely due to the company's restriction to "old-fashioned" technology).
- Shares Turtle Shields' body shape, which have high capacity and lowered max health.
- The shield's name and red text quote refer to President Theodore Roosevelt, founder of the military group the "Rough Riders", and the "Bull Moose" political party. After being shot, he spoke publicly saying, "Ladies and gentlemen, I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose."