|The Rough Rider|
|Model:||The Rough Rider|
|Game||Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt|
|Special Part(s): |
|[The Rough Rider Variants]|
Special Shield Effects
It takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose. – 0 shield capacity. Increases resistance to all damage types by 20%. Increases maximum health.
Usage & Description
Due to its unique property of having 0 shield capacity, the Rough Rider will most likely only appeal to certain players. Its damage modification and health-boosting helps out a defensive/regenerative build (including but not limited to - a character using Miss Moxxi guns, Transfusion grenades, a Zer0 build focusing around Resurgence, or a Krieg build utilizing the Mania tree.)
A character equipped with the Rough Rider will benefit from all talents which activate "when shields are depleted" until they equip a shield with a capacity. However, all talents and bonuses which activate when shields are full will not apply so long as the shield is equipped.
- Axton: Willing, Preparation, and Quick Charge become useless, Pressure loses utility, and Crisis Management is always on.
- Maya: Ward becomes useless, Inertia and Backdraft lose utility, and Fleet is always on. Interacts well with Recompense.
- Salvador: Out of Bubblegum is always on. Titan and Raider mods will trigger the glitch mentioned below. Interacts well with Inconceivable.
- Zer0: Fearless is always on, and Grim loses utility. A Sniper mod will trigger the glitch mentioned below.
- Gaige: Fancy Mathematics and Blood Soaked Shields become useless. Unstoppable Force and Myelin lose utility. Deathtrap may still attempt to use Buck Up. Interacts well with Sharing is Caring.
- Krieg: Feed the Meat and Embrace the Pain, as well as Krieg's Meat and Legendary Psycho class mods, will not have drawbacks due to the fact that there is no recharge delay. Empty the Rage will always present its full bonus and Embrace the Pain will always be on. Fuel the Rampage, Salt the Wound and Release the Beast will work more efficiently since all damage will be health damage. No longer prevents Krieg from downing himself with Redeem the Soul as of the patch released on August 29, 2013 . Prior to this, using Redeem the Soul reduced Krieg's health to critical, synergizing with Release the Beast.
Effects requiring shields to be full can be still be used with some characters by using a class mod that boosts shield capacity by specific amount (for example, Zer0's Professional class mod), making this shield somewhat more useful.
- If an effect subtracts from shield capacity, such as a Raider class mod, skills that activate "when shields are depleted" are prevented from triggering. This is because total capacity is considered negative, but those abilities are triggered at 0 capacity.
- If a menu is opened and closed, the 'shields broken' animation and sound-effect plays. This occurs with all depleted shields, not just the Rough Rider.
- Technically, The Rough Rider has 100 shield capacity that is permanently drained. This inactive capacity is viewable from a Med Vendor.
- Krieg can benefit unequivocally from this shield. None of his skills require having full shields and many of them provide increased benefits with a depleted shield.
- Maya can make excellent use of this with Nurse class mods. The constant health bonuses from being set up as a Legendary Nurse make for a very powerful health bar.
- The Rough Rider is the only shield, so far, produced by Jakobs. This is likely due to the company's restriction to "old-fashioned" technology.
- It is also the only shield to consistently have 0 capacity.
- Ironically, The Rough Rider shares its body shape with Turtle Shields, which have high capacity and lowered max health.
- The shield's name and red text quote refer to President Theodore Roosevelt, founder of the military group the "Rough Riders", and the "Bull Moose" political party. After being shot, he spoke publicly saying, "Ladies and gentlemen, I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose."