Well, that's my home.
I'm from Germany and playing Borderlands since 11/2009, and my first character just finished the game (01/2010) so I'd say I'm a casual gamer.
I'm playing on PC and don't want to know anything about modded/hacked weapons and so on =).
Mordecai Build and History of my Hunter
This is the way I played my first Charcater, a Hunter. I just started playing, just knowing that I wanted to play a Hunter who focuses on dealing nice damage with pistols. To achieve that, I completly left out the Bloodwing tree, I'm also not the greatest fan of this sction skill.
I named him BlueBlow, coloured him in blue (Surprise!) and this what the skills look like:
|View on Official Skill Tree Calculator
|Tier||Sniper Tree||Rogue Tree||Gunslinger Tree|
|Required Level: 50|
This skill build tries to get the most out of pistol damage. Bloodwing is completly left out, but I don't regret this. The main skill order was: Gunslinger Tree > Sniper Tree (Sniper Tree mainly to get to Trespass). Skills are taken for the following reasons (in order of taking them):
- Deadly Must-have, you know.
- Gun Crazy It effectivly increases your pistol damage by 40% at the end, so what.
- Hair Trigger Shooting faster = Killing faster. Deal!
- Relentless Even faster shooting, and free crits! Cool thing. After killing someone, you just go berserk with this.
- Focus Better accuracy = more hits. And I don't want to waste ammo.
- Killer Another "After-Kill-Effect". And it's really cool, because nothing sucks more than being unable to rewind because of reloading =)
- Caliber or Riotous Remedy Here you can chose what you want: more saftey (Riotous Remedy) or more damage (straight to Trespass). Caliber is only taken to reach Trespass. You can replace it with Loaded e.g..
- Trespass (if you have chosen Caliber on 7.) or Caliber That is THE shit. Against Arch Guardians it's like "zomg you are so easy you suck !!1". Best used with weapons without elemental damage (feels like).
- Riotous Remedy or Trespass So on the last 3 skills you can chose between the order: Riotous Remedy-Caliber-Trespass or Caliber-Trespass-Riotous Remedy
Wayne. Seriously. Till New Haven or what in PT 1 Bloodwing might be useful, but afterwards..? Use what ever you want and what your weapons lack of (No corrosive weapon? Use an corrosive artifact!).
Pros and Cons
- Great bullet damage/accuracy/speed with lots of weapons, especially pistols
- Can kill everything
- Possible to use sniper rifles effectivly for long range combat
- No serious need for the "F" Button
- Makes no use of Bloodwing
- Melee Fight (as long as you dont use a Lacerator weapon)
- Needs Ammo Reg against the Destroyer
Of course, a pistol. There you can pick whatever you like, repeater or machine pistol (S&S recommended), scoped or unscoped, double or single, bladed or unbladed.
My Hunter is still using a Scoped Torment by Hyperion, with 4.x zoom (I love scopes) and nice accuracy. The rate of fire is just really high, since lots of skills/mods are pushing this to the speed of light. Then also the medium damage doesn't matter taht much.
This the basic weapon, but of course you should be ready for everything. So it might be good to have elemental pistols with you.
If I encounter Skags or other fleshy enemies, a Maliwan Firehawk works great.
Later on shock weapons are useless, remember that!
Revolvers are counted as Pistols, too (Sharing proficieny and so on.). And these things are a hell of a pain! Especially in PT 2 they are very powerful (Mashers !!!). I always carry a Bloody Justice by Jakobs. The speed is below 1, but it also gets improved ridiculously by the skills, and so the 948 base damage of the weapon hit a level 50 creep for more than 4.5k damage (non-crit). Believe me, that feels so good =). What helped me a lot during the game was the Tediore Equalizer, a quite common legendary revolver with ammo reg. I'm still carrying a Detonating Equalizer with me, if I should run out of ammo (quite unlikley, but wayne).
As secondary weapon you can use whatever you prefer and like. You think you need more power in close combat? Add a shotgun! You think u lack of BAAAMM?! Maybe a rocket launcher might suit you.
My choice was a sniper, to have a good weapon if fighting on long range (And the BOOM! - HEADSHOT!!-Effect). I recommend not to use too many different weapons, since then you might have problems raising the weapon proficieny level of each to maximum or at least a high one. After killing the Destroyer in PT 2, I had to clear the Eridian Promontory twice before my pistol mastery was level 50. But since they die like flies due to Trespass, it is quite fun and rewarding (1 Arch Guardian ~ 15k Exp). Now I'm working on increasing the sniper proficiency to have an even stronger secondary weapon.
Again, a matter of affections. What I can tell you that you won't need any kind of shock grenades later on. Transfusion grenades are always a good choice, especially when you have no skill to heal yourself in a way.
Apart from that, chose the grande with the type of damage your weapons don't cover.
Of course your shield should have a nice capacity, but it should also support your health. I suggest a high capacity shield with a) a health boost or b) health regen. Shields with extra resistances to a specific element are not that useful in my opinion, since the others are still uncovered.
I'm using a shield by Tediore with about 1.5k capacity and very fast health regen.
Here a Gunslinger mod should do the job.
Best would have like 84% pistol fire rate, 78% pistol accuracy, +3 Deadly and +4 Relentless. Ammo Reg instead of accuracy is also possible. If you want to farm a bit, a scavenger mod should be in your inventory.
So, that was my version of the hunter. I had no serious problems, neither in PT 1 nor 2. But later on pistols lose a bit of theier power, compared to revolvers, for example. But as long you don't mind switching your weapon it will be all right. And who says it needs to be easy =).
My next projects
- Berserker without Berserk, skilled on rocket launchers and blast shotguns
- SMG/Firefly Siren
- Melee Mordecai