Natural Selection Annex
Varkids are an insectoid enemy found in various locations in Borderlands 2. They are generally spawned as Larval Varkids from conical-shaped protrusions in the ground. Unlike other creatures on Pandora, varkids have the ability to metamorphose into higher forms as they fight on the battlefield.
When they level up, they burrow into the ground and engulf themselves in a pod. A few seconds later, the pod will burst open and release a stronger varkid. Additionally, when a varkid reappears from its pod, its health is fully restored and all status effects are nullified. The amount of time needed for a varkid to metamorphose to the next step increases with each passing step.
Varkid pods are also extremely vulnerable and can be destroyed with enough damage. Destroying the pod kills the varkid inside and grants a sizeable experience bonus and additional loot. However, the higher up the ladder a varkid goes, the tougher the pods become.
- Larval Varkid - The lowest and weakest form of varkid. They attack by quickly skittering up to their enemies and scratching/biting them or by leaping or flying at them. Unless they are in a very large group, they are little more than a nuisance and can be easily dispatched with one or two melee attacks.
- Blood Varkid - Not another stage of varkid evolution, but rather a stronger variation of the Larval Varkid that randomly appear in the True Vault Hunter Mode alongside the normal varkid groups. They are completely identical aside from their increased health, damage, and red coloring. The Blood Varkid will morph to the Adult Varkid, just as the Larval.
- Adult Varkid - The second stage in the varkid chain yields a much larger, stronger and more resilient foe. Adult varkids possess larger wings that allows them to take to the air and rain down spit on their enemies or move to different locations. Their wings can be shot off with enough gunfire, and they have a critical hit location on their abdomen. On the ground they can strike with a more powerful melee attack. Fought one-on-one, they don't pose too much of a threat; however, their acid attacks anticipate the player's movements and so can be very difficult to dodge.
- Stabber Jabber - An adult Varkid that flies more swiftly in the second headhunter pack, The Horrible Hunger of the Ravenous Wattle Gobbler. Occasionally when a Vault Hunter is struck by a Stabber jabber stinger, they will get double vision and blurred view. They can appear in Badass varieties.
- Tropical Varkid - Featured in the fifth headhunter pack, Sir Hammerlock vs. the Son of Crawmerax, Tropical Varkids are a form of varkid brightly colored to match the environment of Wam Bam Island. When they begin their metamorphosis, they can either directly become Badass Varkids or one of three new elemental types:
- Varkid Incinerator - One of three possible outcomes of Tropical Varkid metamorphosis, Varkid Incinerators are red colored and appear and behave largely identically to Adult Varkids, but with incendiary based attacks. Varkid Incinerators cannot evolve further.
- Varkid Disintegrator - One of three possible outcomes of Tropical Varkid metamorphosis, Varkid Disintegrators are green colored and appear and behave largely identically to Super Badass Varkids, only much smaller and with corrosive based attacks. Varkid Disintegrators cannot evolve further.
- Varkid Electrocutioner - One of three possible outcomes of Tropical Varkid metamorphosis, Varkid Electricutioners are blue colored and appear and behave largely identically to Badass Varkids but with shock based attacks. Varkid Electricutioners cannot evolve further.
- Bloodhound Varkid and Badass Bloodhound Varkid - Types of varkid featured in the fifth headhunter pack, Sir Hammerlock vs. the Son of Crawmerax that are used during the main mission flow to track Sir Hammerlock. The Bloodhound Varkid is used first, while the Badass Bloodhound Varkid appears later. They are friendly when they appear, but both must later be killed in order to progress.
- Badass Varkid - The third step in the varkid chain. Badass Varkids are large, tough and very powerful foes. Despite having wings, they prefer to stay on the ground and attack their enemies at close range. They also possess the ability to perform a powerful charging attack that is very difficult to avoid. Badass Varkids can utilize a spit attack, but this is rarely used if the target is exposed. Furthermore, Badass Varkids possess armored carapaces that reduce damage and which can even reflect the player's shots back at him; corrosive weapons are especially effective against them.
- Chubby Varkid - The Chubby Varkid is an oversized Larval Varkid that has a small chance to spawn from a varkid nest, a badass pod, or a super badass pod. They are best taken out from a distance as they have the ability to inflict a lot of damage. Chubby Varkids have their own loot pool, as they have a chance to drop Tediore's Legendary rocket launcher, Bunny, or Dahl's Legendary shield, Whisky Tango Foxtrot.
- Tubby Varkid- Very similar to the Chubby Varkid, but in addition to the legendary loot offered by the Chubby Varkid, it can also drop legendary class mods and pearlescent items from Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack Two: Digistruct Peak Challenge.
- Mutated Badass Varkid - This varkid is only found during the mission Mighty Morphin'. They have similar behaviour to Adult Varkids but with massively increased damage and health. The only way these are found is when a larval Varkid makes an adult pod which players can interact with. Unlike all other varkids, they are practically immune to corrosive damage.
- Super Badass Varkid - The fourth step in the varkid chain. Super Badass Varkids are not armored and are vulnerable to incendiary weaponry. Instead of firing a single glob from their abdomen, they fire volleys of 6-8 shots. They prefer to stay on the ground, and may also tunnel into the ground, then emerge to fire more glob volleys.
- Ultimate Badass Varkid - These huge mosquito-like Varkids are the final step in the varkid chain before Vermivorous. Their attacks include a volley of 6-8 suicide varkids and a spit attack with three or four globs per attack. They have a slightly increased chance to drop the Quasar upon death.
- Madame Von Bartlesby - This unique varkid is found after accepting the mission You Are Cordially Invited: Party Prep. This varkid must be killed in order to free Sir Reginald. Madame Von Bartlesby has a small chance to drop the legendary Tediore SMG, the Baby Maker. Madame Von Bartlesby attacks by firing small flying suicide varkids from its abdomen that will home in on any enemies in the area. It is vulnerable to incendiary weapons.
Vermivorous The Invincible
Vermivorous The Invincible is the final metamorphosis for varkids, the quantity and quality of loot that it drops is comparable to that of Terramorphous the Invincible. Its health is double that of Terramorphous, however. It is also known to be able to down characters (even at maximum level) with only one or two hits. Vermivorous can only spawn on True Vault Hunter Mode or Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.
The following table lists the chance that a varkid will produce a pod and subsequently evolve. It is dependent on how high in the evolution chain it is as well as on the number of players. Whether a varkid will even evolve is decided the moment it spawns or hatches and does not change over time.
|Normal Mode||1 Player||2 Players||3 Players||4 Players|
|Larval -> Adult||60%||70%||80%||90%|
|Adult -> Badass||30%||40%||50%||60%|
|Badass -> Super Badass||10%||20%||30%||40%|
|Super Badass -> Ultimate Badass||0%||1%||2%||
|Ultimate Badass -> Supreme Badass (Vermivorous The Invincible)||0%||0%||0%||0%|
|True Vault Hunter Mode||1 Player||2 Players||3 Players||4 Players|
|Larval -> Adult||70%||80%||90%||
|Adult -> Badass||40%||50%||60%||70%|
|Badass -> Super Badass||20%||30%||40%||
|Super Badass -> Ultimate Badass||10%||20%||30%||40%|
|Ultimate Badass -> Supreme Badass (Vermivorous The Invincible)||7.5||10%||11%||12%|
Larval -> Supreme Badass (Vermivorous The Invincible)
- In Fight For Your Life mode, the miniature "suicide varkids" released by the Ultimate Badass Varkids and Vermivorous can be shot down for a Second Wind.
- When a varkid or any evolution of varkid begins to morph, it emits a chittering sound, before entering its pod. This sound decreases in speed and pitch depending on what evolutionary step the varkid emitting the sound was in. Players may use this as a notification/warning to quickly kill the resulting pod or varkid evolution.
- In addition, the degree to which the sound changes increases with each evolutionary step. (As in, there is little difference between the Larval and Adult's chittering, while there is a very noticeable difference between the Badass' and Super Badass' chittering.)
- If a varkid's wing is shot off, the varkid will land.
- Like all other insectoid enemies in the game, Varkids are most vulnerable to hits on their thorax (their rear end), not their heads/faces; enterprising players may want to bring along weapons that do significantly increased Critical Hit damage like the Lady Fist or the Fibber -especially for Vermivorous, whose gigantic size presents players with a massive, very easy-to-hit target.
- If a varkid evolves further from a Badass Varkid while in Wam Bam Island, it will completely ignore the Super Badass stage, and evolve directly into an Ultimate Badass Varkid.
- According to the Borderlands 2 guide, the 'hive' structures that varkids emerge from are actually the reproductive organs of female varkids that have buried themselves in the ground. Judging by how big some of these 'hives' are, varkids or at least female varkids can get to an enormous size.
- Varkid blood is a light green color. This is best seen when shooting one with a shotgun at close range.