|Title||Lance Assassin squad leader|
Vulcana is a Lance Assassin squad leader dressed in black and gray armor, and wields double plasma swords in combat.
Vulcana is the first mandatory boss the Vault hunters will encounter. While exploring for parts to build a Monster, a Crimson Lance assault pod will arc into T-Bone Junction and disgorge a squad of four Lance Assassins, led by Vulcana. These assassins have been sent to kill the Vault hunters in retaliation for shutting down previous Crimson Lance activities on Pandora.
Vulcana and the other assassins are fast-moving melee units primarily, and will charge straight into melee range if they can. Vulcana herself is also equipped with small rocket projectiles that she will occasionally stop to fire if her target is maintaining distance. When taking heavy fire she often dives into a sideways combat roll that can whip her out of the immediate line of fire and allow her to quickly resume her pursuit to her target.
One method to make the fight against Vulcana easier is to run into Marcus' shop and stand behind the counter. Vulcana will not follow, so this becomes a safe way to avoid her melee attacks. In the very rare case that she does make it through, lure her behind the counter next to the shelf at the front and jump over to the other side. Now when she attempts to roll away from critical hits, she will be unable to get out from behind the obstruction.
A very cheap way to win this boss battle is to first build the Monster, then simply attempt to run her down when she stops momentarily to communicate over ECHO.
- Vulcana and her companions are vulnerable to corrosive damage.
- Vulcana will respawn in the same position (along with her squad) if not killed when first encountered.
- Low level characters are likely to die during battle and may die again due to a save station next to the battle area.
- Vulcana is named after Vulcan, the Roman god of fire.
- Vulcana is differentiated from most of the other assassins in that she wears no face mask. Despite this, she still has an electronically distorted voice like the others.