Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Zer0 is the playable Assassin class character in Borderlands 2.
Zer0 was revealed on February 21, 2012, in the Borderlands 2 Launch Date Trailer. His nickname comes from the "0" hologram sometimes displayed over his faceplate when he dispatches a target. Other emotes and text appear on his faceplate - and on enemies, using the B0re skill - during different actions. Most of Zer0's phrases are spoken in haiku.
Zer0 is an assassin for hire. According to his wanted poster and his personal ECHO recordings, he performs both political assassinations and common hits. Following a particularly unsatisfying assassination where the target fails to fight back, despite being encouraged by Zer0 to do so, the assassin starts to look for a more challenging environment. He travels to Pandora after hearing of the Vault from a bartender, deeming the hunt as worthy of his skills.
As his face and body are completely covered by his suit, a certain amount of mystery surrounds Zer0's true appearance. In an ECHO recording, Angel remarks that she's not even sure if Zer0 is human; both in-game and promotional material show that he has only four digits on each hand. His origins and real name are also unknown, leaving the character shrouded in mystery.
As revealed in the "Ask Dr. Tannis" Section of the Pandoran Gazette, included as a scrap of paper in the Diamond Plate Loot chest, Zer0 is not his true name. The remaining piece of scrap containing the name and gender of Zer0 were not included, but the part that does remain suggests that Patricia Tannis is aware of Zer0's origins.
Tales from the Borderlands
Following a mission given by Moxxi, Zer0 chases after the bandit lord Bossanova, in search of a Gortys core. They crash into the World of Curiosities, where Rhys and Vaughn are in the process of dealing with August for a Vault Key. Bossanova runs off with Rhys' money, leaving Zer0 to deal with several psychos. Later, Zer0 tracks Bossanova to his hideout, an abandoned Atlas warehouse, and makes his way inside. He later saves Rhys and Sasha from a skag, and takes a lift with them to the center area, where Bossanova is hosting a death race event. Upon spotting Zer0, Bossanova issues a $20,000 reward to anyone who can kill him. Zer0 engages in combat with Bossanova and his bandits, and eventually emerges victorious. He then reports the situation back to Moxxi, while commenting on not having found the Gortys core. Unbeknownst to him, the core was hidden below him, and is later found by Rhys and Fiona.
If the player identifies Fiona as a Vault Hunter back in Episode 3, Zer0 will be available as a team member in the fight against The Traveler. His attack against The Traveler begins with a form of Decepti0n, followed by teleportation blocks and quick blows.
Action Skill: Decepti0n
"Decepti0n" grants Zer0 the ability to deploy a holographic decoy of himself and enter an invisible "stealth mode." While cloaked, he can maneuver about the battlefield dealing amplified damage on his next attack. The longer Zer0 stays cloaked, the more damage he can inflict to enemies; however, the shorter Zer0 stays cloaked, the sooner he is able to use the skill again. Zer0 does not enter a separate dimension like Lilith when she Phasewalks, and can still take damage from all sources while cloaked.
Decepti0n has a base cooldown of 15 seconds and gives up to +650% Melee Damage or +200% Gun Damage and +250% Gun Critical Hit Damage.
Zer0's basic melee attack uses his sword. The sword cannot be equipped but its effectiveness in combat can be enhanced. It consists of a physical hilt with a blade that digistructs when pulled from its sheath.
- Main article: Zer0/ECHO Recorders
Joining a game
- Where is the target?
- Just tell me what to shoot.
- What's the hold up? / Is someone in the bathroom? / Are you on the phone?
- What is going on? / Why have my limbs stopped moving? / Has my heart just died?
- Bor-ed, bor-ed, bored / Bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored / I am really bored.
- Boredom is my lot, / As I lack autonomy / To move my own feet.
- An idle mind is / A very dangerous thing / I think of violence.
- I am bored as hell / I would like to kill something / Can we friggin go?
- I sit here and wait / So eager to move onward / But it's all in vain.
- Can we start moving? / I grow tired of this spot / I long to explore.
- The peaceful silence / Penetrates my whole being / It's so very dull.
Attempting to travel while other players are busy
- Someone is busy. / Now we play the waiting game; / Everyone loses.
- What is the holdup? / Is someone in the bathroom? / Are you on the phone?
- Your eyes deceive you / An illusion fools you all / I move for the kill.
- How hilarious / You just set off my trap card / Your death approaches.
- The true world revealed / Weaknesses now known to me / Time to go to work.
- And I disappear / A ghost amidst the combat / Preparing to strike.
- I vanish.
- Good bye!
Scoring a critical hit
- A critical hit / So very satisfying / I live for such kills.
- Critical killing / Is an art unto itself / And I am Rembrandt.
- A critical kill / Showers me in blood and spit / How enjoyable.
- That was your own fault / You should have paid attention / And looked through the lie.
- Sorry, did that hurt? / That "sorry" was sarcasm / I am not sorry.
- I enjoy that.
Throwing a grenade
- Grenade out!
- A grenade!
- Here! Grenade!
Affected by an elemental attack
- I feel the burning / Eating through my equipment / Must stop, drop, and roll.
- I'm covered in slag! / I must seek cover quickly / or pain is coming.
- Disgusting, this slag / Inelegant chemical / Increases damage.
- My armor!
- A new instrument, / Waiting for a sonata / That I will conduct.
- Maybe I'll use you / To blow a midget's head off. / Or maybe I won't.
- Well, well...
- Not bad.
Comparing items in the menu
- Comparisons made / But which is superior? / A tough decision.
Reviving a downed ally
- Get back on your feet / I will help you up, and then / We will kill more stuff!
- Keep shooting!
- Keep calm.
- Do not panic.
- I have you.
Killing an enemy
- A most confused death / Dead before he even knew / Where I had struck from.
- Striking from nowhere / Killing with accuracy / This is who I am.
- Yoo-hoo, stupid guy / I was really over here / Too bad you're dead now.
- I am everywhere / And yet, I am nowhere, too / I am infinite.
- Farewell, foolish thing / Know that you have been deceived / As your soul moves on.
- This is how you die / A spectacle of violence / Gorgeous and ugly.
- I relish your death / You are so unsuspecting / How satisfying.
- I say, boom biatch / That's what you get for messing / With the Assassin.
- I have destroyed you / A deadly shot from nowhere / The ghost Assassin.
- Over here you fools / That was but an illusion / I am your true foe.
- You fought well creature / But I fought so much better / I'll pick your corpse now.
- Assassinated / What a satisfying word / With five syllables.
- What happened to you? / So strong, imposing, fearsome / Oh yeah, I killed you.
- I witness your death / You were so unsuspecting / How satisfying.
- Assassins never die!
- Bow to my weaponry!
- Unworthy opponents.
- Fear my skills!
Killing multiple enemies in succession
- Leaves falling from trees / Snow drifting onto the ground / Life leaving your corpse.
Sighting a badass or boss
- Warning, badass!
- Badass approaching!
- Greetings, badass.
- Hello, badass.
- Badass sighted.
- Attention! Badass.
- Badass incoming!
- Incoming badass!
- Hark! Badass.
Killing an enemy by running them over
- That is called "roadkill" / Not the cleverest of words / But appropriate.
- This is the story / All about how my life got / Flipped, turned upside-down.
- What was that speed bump / That fell under my tires? / Was that thing alive?
Crashing a vehicle
- System crashed.
- I am nearly dead / It's time for a second wind / Let my aim be true.
- I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo.
- Come on!
Getting a Second Wind
- I won't die today / Not while I still have ammo / I am a badass.
- I will not die here / I have too much left to do / And too much ammo.
- I have arisen / You will regret harming me / My vengeance at hand.
- Second Wind achieved / Pulled back from the brink of death / I'm ready for more.
- I'm back from the dead / To continue to raise hell / Get out of my way.
- You should now be scared / I don't die so easily / And now I am pissed.
- Nice try savages / I am not the dying type / You shall die instead.
- This does not end here / I have much further to go / Before I fall dead.
- I got Second Wind / Metaphorically speaking / Breath overrated.
- I am eternal / Death will never capture me / My skills exceed his.
- I do not think so.
- Your mistake.
- I'm ready.
- What is next?
Out of ammunition
- I'm empty.
- Well, crap.
- Curses, empty.
- No ammo.
- That's unfortunate.
- Ammo dry.
- Ammunition required.
- Ammo depleted.
- Munitions dry.
- Ammo necessary.
- I thank you for your / Kindness and sincerity. / Now, let's kill some stuff.
- Thank you for saving / A not so innocent life / By reviving me.
- Levelled up.
- That felt good.
In the menu with a Skill Point left to spend
- Why, yes, I do have / The skills to pay all my bills / Figuratively.
Issuing a duel challenge
- Oh, what? Yeah, what, bitch? / Yeah, I just slapped you and stuff. / What you gonna do?
- Let's duel, you and I / So we can compare weapons / And know who is more skilled.
- Let us fight.
- Duel. Now!
- I challenge you.
Accepting a duel
- A chance to spar is / Something I always adore / I'm ready to fight.
- Was that a stiff wind? / Or a fly landing on me? / I barely felt it.
- You sure?
- Your mistake.
- Death wish, huh?
Winning a duel
- A victory earned / A hard fought battle, that was / I honor my foe.
- That was a fine fight / I say that due to your skill / Not because I won.
- I win.
- Back on your feet.
Losing a duel
- I lost fair and square / Whatever that dumb phrase means / Who loses a square?
- Well done.
- Rematch. Now!
Tying in a duel
- The battle complete / The warriors are equal / Identical skills.
- A tie? Disappointing.
- Hey, this area / Smells vaguely of butts and death / An unpleasant stench. (entering Unassuming Docks)
- You look troubled, ma'am / Tell me how I may help you / I long for a quest. (talking to Ellie/Eleanor in Flamerock Refuge)
- I care not for cash / Only for the pure combat / That said, I'll buy guns. (entering Hatred's Shadow)
Dropping the Crit
- Dropped it.
- If only I had five fingers.
- If your love awaits / Why are you standing out here? / Let's save her, stupid. (words of encouragement for Ed)
- (when tasting whiskey):
- Moderately quenching.
- Life is very short / One day you will grow older / And then you will die. (to make the baby cry)
- Combat is my love / Brutal violence, my partner / I need no one else. (when Moxxi asks about a mister-or-missus Vault Hunter in Zer0's life)
- A smoking cigar / Is so much less interesting / Than a smoking gun. (when collecting the cigar box)
- To love one's mother? / An unusual feeling. / You're on your own. (when Innuendobot asks if his Oedipal feelings for Moxxi are normal)
- (when collecting Stella's wig):
- I need your blonde wig / For reasons unimportant / May I please have it?
- I am on a quest / Which requires that blonde wig / So uh, I need it.
- Sorry about this. / I wanna finish the quest. / Nothing personal.
- Lubrication is / A means of making things work. / His is grease. Mine? Blood. (when collecting the can of grease)
- Your wooing tactic / Is completely transparent. / Your neg does not work. (when Innuendobot asks if his negging made Zer0 love him)
- Remote charges have / A very long broadcast range / His death came form space. (When finding Axton's assassin)
- Like the old story / Of he with the waxen wings / Except bloodier (When finding Gaige's assassin)
- He wanted a break / Now he can rest forever / But who poisoned him? (When finding Maya's assassin)
- He hangs in the air / The breeze stirring his body / Animate, yet not. (When finding Salvador's assassin)
- Hyperion scum / Trying to catch a monster / Oh, the irony (When finding Krieg's assassin)
- I understand it. / A message sent, and received. / Mercy is coming. (When finding Zer0's assassin)
With Handsome Jack's voice
About Handsome Jack's voice
- As my voice changes / I cannot help but feel wrong / I sound like a jerk.
- Now, I have Jack's voice / I truly understand him / He is an asshole.
- Since I speak as Jack / I know him, inside and out / Which sounds kind of gross.
- I miss my old voice / I sound like a jackass now / Pun not intended.
- I found equipment.
- Beautiful weaponry!
- Poetic armaments.
Getting a Second Wind
- I feel the Wind.
- I'm ready!
- No! Serenety!
Killing an enemy
- Over here!
- I disappear!
Accepting a duel
- Your mistake.
- I don't think so.
- Wrong move!
Zer0 often displays holographs from his faceplate, revealing his emotions through this. These include:
- :) - a smiley face emoticon, displayed randomly.
- 0 - a large number zero originally giving Zer0 his nickname. It is displayed after an enemy is killed with a melee attack.
- :D - a smiley face emoticon, displayed when constructing and/or entering a vehicle at the Catch-A-Ride station.
- WTF BRO - an acronym for "What The Fuck, Bro," displayed after crashing a vehicle into something.
- <3 - a heart emoticon, displayed while reviving a friendly player.
- FML - an acronym for "For My Loss" or "Fuck My Life," displayed after being crippled.
- ? - a question mark, displayed when pending actions (such as switching seats with a player in a vehicle) or when viewing the map.
- ! - an exclamation mark, displayed when seeing a downed friendly player.
- $ - a dollar sign, displayed when completing a mission.
- && - twin ampersands, displayed when inspecting items in the menu.
- 勝 - a kanji character meaning "victory", displayed when receiving items by either picking them up or via trading.
- ... - an ellipsis, displayed when either inspecting menu items, after killing an enemy, or while reloading a weapon.
- :l - a straight face emoticon, displayed when standing idle.
- ZZZ - three Zs, a common emote for "sleeping," displayed when standing idle.
- :( - a sad face emoticon, displayed when standing idle.
- B0R3D - the word "BORED" written in leet speak, displayed when standing idle.
- 嘆く - a kanji character meaning "sigh," displayed when standing idle.
- OWND - an abbreviation for "owned," displayed after killing an enemy with a critical hit.
- 止 - a kanji character meaning "stop" displayed when trying to fast-travel while a co-op partner has a menu open.
During Decepti0n, with the B0re Skill active, various other Emotes can been seen on the Enemies weak points.
- 00110000 - the binary ASCII code (48) for the digit 0.
- :(_8(1) - an emoticon looking like Homer Simpson from the TV-show The Simpsons.
- >_< - a frustrated person emoticon.
- :-P - a person sticking their tongue out as an emoticon.
- :-D - another smiley face emoticon.
- >:-] - an evil face emoticon.
- [O][O] - two wide eyes as an emoticon.
- [.][.] - a female breasts emoticon.
- ^5 - an emoticon symbolizing a "high five."
- D13 - the word "DIE" written in leet speak.
- K1LL - the word "KILL" written in leet speak.
- 1337 - the word "LEET" written in leet speak, which can also mean "ELITE."
- PA1N -the word "PAIN" written in leet speak.
- W34K - the word "WEAK" written in leet speak.
- 3MTA3 - the words "EAT ME" written backward and in leet speak, which was a saying made famous by Beastie Boys, a hip-hop band.
- 4SS4SS1N - the word "ASSASSIN" written in leet speak.
- <-SHOOT - an arrow and the word "SHOOT," telling one where to shoot.
- WTF - an acronym for "What The Fuck."
- OMG - an acronym for "Oh, My God."
- LOL - an acronym for "Laugh Out Loud."
- GTFO - an acronym for "Get The Fuck Out."
- \M/ - The "sign of the horns."
- \0/ - a person with their arms in the air as an emoticon.
- !!! - three exclamation points.
- 42 - the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything."
- 666 - the "number of the Beast."
- 31415 - the first five numbers of Pi.
- 8675309 - a phone number, referencing the famous song "867-5309/Jenny", performed by artist Tommy Tutone.
- 8===D - the number 8, three equal signs and the letter D, a common text representation of male genitalia.
- Gearbox concept designer, Scott Kester, credits Zer0's inspiration to "loner characters" like Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe and Gray Fox from the Metal Gear video game series. 
- Most of Zer0's dialogue is spoken in haiku, which is noted once by Handsome Jack in an ECHO recorder.
- Zer0's version of the "Slayer of Terramorphous" class mod was once bugged, providing a bonus to one of another playable character's, Salvador, the Gunzerker class, skills. It has since been fixed in a patch.
- When using the Handsome Jack Voice Modulator, Zer0 will become far less talkative. Many of his lines are replaced with lines that are cut short as though Zer0 was about to say something, heard his own voice, and decided against it.
- Zer0's wanted poster has the code 000 000 000 HSP, the joke being that the entire numerical code is just 0s, as part of a running gag Zer0 has with the respective number, along with other jokes in other areas.
- The line, "This is the story / All about how my life got / Flipped, turned upside-down." from killing an enemy by running them over is a reference to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air's intro song.
- Zer0's line when entering Decepti0n, "How hilarious / You just set off my trap card / Your death approaches." is a reference to Yu-Gi-Oh, where a trap card would be used in response to another player's actions.
- In Mad Moxxi and the Wedding Day Massacre the reward head for Zer0 shows a robotic eye in his shattered helmet. A promotional description stated "it should be said that his new head is named 'N0t C4n0n' for a reason," keeping Zer0's true race a mystery.
- Zer0 speaks in a completely different voice in Episode 5 of Tales from the Borderlands, using a less husky, more formal-sounding voice. This new voice has been widely criticized for being a rather unfitting change.
- ↑ Lost ECHO recordings 3 and 4, Sawtooth Cauldron